Attracting deer and getting them to stay in one spot for more than a few minutes is a challenge. As animals of prey, deer are always on the move. Once they finish eating a little in one spot, they quickly leave.
They are also nocturnal animals, which means that they are more active at night. Entice deer to visit regularly by learning how to hang a deer feeder to effectively get them to stay in one place by providing them food on a regular basis.
Attaching a deer feeder tightly to a tree or post means attracting deer and other wildlife. Deer like the food in the feeder, especially during winter when food is scarce. Are you excited that your feeder can attract deer? Find an effective location where deer will likely go and feel secure enough to eat and stay for more than a few minutes.
How to hang a deer feeder
Are you clueless about how to hang a deer feeder? Here is the step by step guide in doing so without breaking the feeder:
Prepare the materials you need:
- Drilling machinery
- Measuring tape
- Small diameter drill bit
- 2” long screw with O-ring
- Durable rope
- Durable carabiner
- Old hose
- Locate the middle of the feeder and put a mark on it. Create a small starter hole on the mark. Insert an O-ring long screw into the hole as far as it can go. Avoid cracking the wood of the feeder as you do it.
- Choose the area where you will hang the deer feeder. An ideal spot is between trees with plenty of bushes around. The two trees should have the same diameter and less than 10’ apart. These trees are the spot you can hang the feeder.
- Using the measuring tape, calculate the specific distance between the two trees. Get a heavy-duty rope that has the same measurement but add 2’ to give allowance for tying knots.
- Identify the middle of the rope and coil it through a durable carabiner. Tie an easy overhand knot around the carabiner. Holding each end of the rope, create an overhand knot. Transfer one end of the rope over the other end. After doing the overhand knot, the end of the rope on your left should eventually be at your right; the same with the other end of the rope.
- With the information on the exact measurement of each tree trunk, get a piece of hose as long as the circumference of each trunk. The hose should be long enough to surround the trunk. Insert it through the end of the rope. The hose will serve as protection against any damage to the tree.
- Place the rope between the trees and make sure that the carabiner is kept in the middle of the rope. Tie one end of the rope around one tree. Measure 5’ above the ground or more, depending on the height of the deer you want to feed or attract. Coil the rope and hose securely around the tree with an easy square knot. Do the same with the other tree. Make sure that the ropes are equally tight around each tree.
- Attach the O-ring screw above the feeder to the carabiner in the middle of the rope. Doing so will make it convenient to detach the feeder for refilling food or cleaning.
How to attract deer
Deer are not picky eaters and they keep on moving from one place to another. That is why they are hard to observe or hunt. Some homeowners like to attract them to come into their yards or a nearby location. How do you attract the deer?
Basically, attracting deer is as common as knowing what they eat. Deer eat fruits, nuts, bark, twigs, leaves, grass, and other vegetation. They are most active during spring or summer when the greens are abundant. Attract them by maintaining a field of grass, bushes, or trees. Their favorite foods are vegetables, flowers, and ornamentals.
During winter, attract them by hanging a deer feeder on the trees with a nearby water source. This season is hard for them to find food. You can fill the feeder with oats, nuts, or deer feed mix as a deer attractant.
Deer are beautiful animals that people love to watch. They are hunters’ favorite too. Whichever purpose you have in mind, make sure to follow wildlife regulations and rights.
You might like this: Top Tips onHow to Attract Deer to Your Feeder